Posts

Showing posts from July, 2024

Hardship protest: US, UK, Canada issue security alerts, traders fear looting

Image
•Foreign missions foresee violence as FG, Obi differ on protest sponsors The United States, United Kingdom and Canada have raised the alarm over the likelihood of violence during the planned August 1 #EndBadGovernance protest in the country. The three countries, in separate travel alerts, cautioned their nationals in Nigeria to avoid getting caught in the confrontation that might occur between the security agencies and protesters, citing past incidences. The advisories come as apprehensive market leaders in Abuja, Sokoto, Kano, Katsina, Ogun, Osun, Zamfara, Gombe and other parts of the country requested strong security around markets during the rallies. Also in preparation for the demonstration, the police authorities have recalled all personnel on non-essential duties. A memo dated July 25, 2024 and signed by CSP Okon Moses directed the withdrawal of riot policemen ahead of the protest. The message titled, ‘Notification of temporary withdrawal of personnel for national ass...

How Tinubu can avert August 1 nationwide protest – Ajaero

Image
How Tinubu can avert August 1 nationwide protest – Ajaero. The President of the Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, Joe Ajaero, has urged President Bola Tinubu to dialogue with the leaders of groups planning to protest against the prevailing hardship in the country. Ajaero stated that protesting is a right of citizens, and millions of Nigerians are angry about the state of the national economy. In a statement released on Monday, Ajaero highlighted the severity of the economic situation, citing statistics from the National Bureau of Statistics, NBS, and the International Rescue Committee, IRC. He emphasized that many Nigerian families are struggling to eat one meal a day, and millions are living below extreme poverty lines. Ajaero expressed concern about the government’s response to the protests, stating that describing citizens’ struggles as “sponsored political dissent” is condescending and dismissive. He emphasised that citizens demand a listening ear and an empathetic heart fr...

FCT Police Command begs Abuja residents to shun protest

Image
The Commissioner of Police in charge of the FCT, Benneth Igweh, has begged residents of Abuja not to join the planned nationwide protest, to prevent the destruction of new infrastructure recently put in place by the FCT administration and President Bola Tinubu.Igwe made this appeal on Monday as the date for proposed protest against economic hardship in the country by unnamed groups draws near. The CP also paraded the mastermind of the armed robbery gang that killed retired Brigadier General Uwen Harold Udokwerre in Abuja on June 22, 2024.While speaking on the proposed strike, Igweh said, “Lions do not destroy their den. We have toiled so much to ensure and provide security for the FCT. In the cause of this, we have gone to Kaduna, we have gone to Kogi, we have gone to Nasarawa to fish out our criminals who came to disturb the peace of Abuja. “In this process, we have lost officers. Last week we lost two officers, the previous week, we lost one officer over efforts at providing security...

Joe Ajaero: Tinubu Said If We Go On Strike, He Will Have Time To Read His Papers And Do Other Things

Image
Despite the urgent need for a new minimum wage and pressure from labor unions, Joe Ajaero, President of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), claimed that President Bola Tinubu indicated that another strike would give him more time to read and relax. In an interview with Channels Television’s Politics Today, Ajaero emphasized the NLC’s commitment to workers’ rights despite the President’s nonchalant attitude. He highlighted the necessity of a new minimum wage to ease the financial hardships faced by Nigerian workers. Ajaero criticized Tinubu’s casual approach, stating it shows a lack of understanding of workers’ struggles. He noted that ongoing discussions with the President are crucial for resolving the issue, as Tinubu holds a key role in this matter. Ajaero expressed hope that once these talks conclude, there will be no further obstacles to implementing a new minimum wage. He stressed that the NLC has been in constant communication with the government to ensure the new wage structure i...

BREAKING: Sabinus Father Kidnapped, Security Officer Killed In Gunfight

Image
Popular skitmaker Mr. Funny, also known as Sabinus, experienced a sad incident as his father was kidnapped days ago in Rivers State.According to a source, the abduction took place between 7:30 and 8:00 PM when armed men intercepted Mr. Funny’s father upon his return home.A fierce gunfight broke out between the kidnappers and the local security team, known as Ospac. During the exchange, an Ospac officer was critically injured and succumbed to his injuries the following morning. The gunfire also injured a neighbour who was struck by a stray bullet and is currently receiving medical treatment at a hospital. Sabinus, whose real name is Emmanuel Chukwuemeka, has expressed gratitude as the kidnappers released his kidnapped father after he paid the demanded ransom. The star skitmaker, who disclosed this on his Instagram page, didn’t reveal the amount paid for the ransom. He said: “Kidnappers who kidnapped my father could still watch my video and laugh; life is like that. But we thank God for ...

Alleged Trump shooter filmed on roof with rifle

Image
The Secret Service is facing questions after former US President Donald Trump was shot at during a rally in Pennsylvania. Trump, who is now "doing well", says he was shot in the ear as he stood in front of crowds at a fairground in Butler. One bystander was killed in the shooting and two others were critically injured, according to a Secret Service spokesman. The Director of the Secret Service, Kimberly Cheatle, has been summoned to testify before the US House of Representatives on 22 July by the Oversight Committee - the main investigative board of the US House of Representatives. At a news conference on Sunday, FBI special agent Kevin Rojek said it was "surprising" that the shooter, who has been named as 20-year-old Thomas Matthew Crooks, was able to open fire before the Secret Service killed him. the BBC that his nephew was injured in the shooting. He sustained a minor wound to his neck and was treated at the scene, Mr Jackson said in a statement. Vid...

BREAKING: After Meeting Tinubu, NLC Discloses Actual Amount FG “Should Pay” As Minimum Wage

Image
Joe Ajaero’s led LC has insisted that it would not accept an offer from President Tinubu less than N250,000 as the new minimum wageNLC President Ajaero stated this after its meeting with President Tinubu held on Thursday, July 11, at the Presidential VillaAt the moment, Tinubu’s led government has insisted on paying Nigerian workers N62,000 but NLC and the TUC rejected the offer and demanded N250,000 as new minimum wage …